Even though I said that the Elf House Ornament was going to be the last Christmas craft tutorial of the year, I thought you all would really enjoy this Christmas Card Book tutorial!!
This tutorial will show you how to make a really neat (and pretty) book of the Christmas cards you receive each year!! It even uses Christmas wrapping paper on the covers!!
At the end of the tutorial, I'll list some additional options for this project and ways you can totally change it up!!
GATHER SUPPLIES
Chipboard
Wrapping paper from this year
Coordinating cardstock
Coordinating 1/8" satin ribbon
Cover decorations
Crop-a-dial (or similar tool)
Eyelets
Hole reinforcing stickers
Glue
Step 1: PREP COVER SUPPLIES
CHIPBOARD PIECES
You will need to cut 2 pieces of chipboard for your covers.
To determine the size of your chipboard pieces, do the following:
- Measure the longest/tallest card you received and add 1/2" to that measurement; this will be your height.
- Measure the widest card you want to include and add 1/2" to that measurement; this will be your width.
WRAPPING PAPER PIECES
You'll need 4 pieces of wrapping paper to cover the chipboard pieces.
2 of the wrapping paper pieces will be about 2" longer and wider than your chipboard pieces.
The other 2 wrapping paper pieces should be 1/2" to 1" shorter and narrower than your chipboard pieces.
Step 2: DECORATE COVERS
COVER THE FRONT OF EACH COVER
Lay one of the larger pieces of wrapping paper face down and center chipboard cover on top.
Fold over the two longer edges and glue in place.
Fold in the corners as shown above.
Note: When using wrapping paper in this project, be very careful because the wrapping can tear pretty easily.
Fold and glue down the other two edges.
Repeat these steps for the other cover.
COVER THE BACK OF EACH COVER
Glue the smaller wrapping paper pieces in the center of the backs in order to cover the rest of the chipboard that's showing.
DECORATE
Decorate the front of the front cover.
Note: I just added a title and left it at that, but I may add more later.
Step 3: ADD HOLES
COVER
Using a Crop-a-Dile or similar tool, punch the following 3 holes about 1/2" away from the "binding" side of your covers:
- One hole should be perfectly centered.
- The other two holes should be 1/2" to 1.5" from the top and bottom.
Using the Crop-a-Dile or other eyelet tool, add eyelets to each of the holes making sure the "nice" side of the eyelets are on the outsides of the covers.
CARDSTOCK PAGES
I decided to add a piece of cardstock immediately inside each cover to protect both the cards and the wrapping paper. These 2 pages measure 1/2" shorter and narrower than the covers.
Line up the "binding" side edges of the wrapped covers and cardstock pages making sure the cardstock is centered.
Mark where the holes need to go by making a dot through each cover hole onto the page.
Punch them out using the same tool you used on the covers.
I added hole reinforcing stickers to each hole I punched in the cardstock so it wouldn't tear later on.
CARDS
Before punching the holes in your cards, you'll want to determine which side will go on the "binding" side of the book. I chose the folded edge of the cards and the tops of the photo cards.
Punching the holes in the cards is a bit more complicated and is different for longer and shorter cards.
Longer cards
Line the folded edge up with the cover as you did with the cardstock pages.
Mark where the holes need to go by making a dot through each of the cover's 3 holes onto the card.
Punch out the holes using the same tool as earlier.
Shorter cards (not long enough for all 3 holes)
Line the folded edge up along the "binding" side edges of the covers, but instead of centering the card, place it 1/4" to 1/2" from the top.
Punch out the holes using the same tool as earlier.
Step 4: BIND BOOK
Stack your covers, pages, & cards in this order (bottom to top):
Back cover
Back cardstock page
Cards (from tallest to shortest)
Front cardstock page
Front cover
Using 8" to 10" lengths of 1/8" satin ribbon, tie loose double knots and add bows.
FINISHED!!
Now wasn't that a fun project!! I had a blast making my book and I know you will too!! Here are the other ideas I had for the projects...
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS
There are so many other items you can add to these little books and they have sooo much potential for other projects as well!! I'd like to take a moment to mention just a couple of the ideas I've come up with so far!!
OTHER ADDABLE CONTENT
There are so many other things you can save in this book besides just cards!! What if the title were just "Christmas 2011" rather than "Christmas Cards 2011"? You could add things such as...
*The card and/or newsletter you mailed that year
*Received newsletters & photos
*Handwritten memories from that Christmas
*Christmas Photos
and a ton of other memorabilia items!!
SPECIAL EVENT CARDS
This project could be used to save your cards from really special events such as...
*Birthdays
*Anniversaries
*Weddings
*Bridal showers
*Baby showers
*Birth of a child
and many others!!
CHILD'S VALENTINE BOOK
Children get a ton of adorable valentines from their classmates and this would be a great way to remember all of that cuteness!! You could even have your child decorate the covers!!
Thanks for reading!! Until next time...
I've submitted this tutorial to the...

















I love this idea!! I am going to see if I can figure it out!!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea to keep your keepsake cards, for sure. Very thoughtful gift for a friend or yourself.
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing us and inspiring us! :)
Visiting from More The Merrier Linky Party,
Smiles, Suzanne in NW IL
I really like this idea. I've been trying to figure out a way to keep my wedding cards, too. So I may end up making many of these!
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute way of saving cards! Great project! Wishing you a wonderful New Year! Angie xo
ReplyDeleteLisa, this is a wonderful way to keep all those mementos together. Perfectly lovely!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited to see this idea. My daughter-in-law wanted an idea to keep her wedding cards handy, yet accessible and preserved. I think this is the answer. You give very explicit instructions, which I appreciate. I can't wait to see how it turns out using the paper from her wedding.
ReplyDeleteI also was just thinking of how can I keep the Christmas cards that I like year after year, this is the answer! I am so glad I stumbled on to your blog.
Thanks!
~Karen
This is the most unique and adaptable project i've seen in ages! It's wonderful. Thank you for the excellent tutorial and for your kindness in sharing.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant!
Marion in the UK
Hi there! I loved this so much that I featured it in my "100 Jolly Christmas Crafts & Decorations"! Have a great day! http://www.aspectacledowl.com/100-christmas-crafts-decorations/
ReplyDeleteMahalo for this great idea! I am on a mission for 2013 to find different frugal ways for binding materials - and you have just given me an early start!
ReplyDelete