Thursday, January 12

Guest Post: Polish the Stars

Today, Megan from Polish the Stars will be sharing her awesome Mini Polaroid Necklace tutorial with us!!  


Before I hand things over to her, I just want to say that I've loved Polish the Stars ever since I found it!!  It has so many great tutorials and there's even a weekly linky party on Mondays!!  You definitely need to check out Polish the Stars, especially if you've never visited before!!


I've always looked up to Megan and have gone to her many times with craft blogging questions.  She's always been willing to help!!  I'm so honored to have her guest posting on my blog!!  With that, I'll let her take over...



Hello there!  My name is Megan and I blog over at Polish The Stars.  My blog name comes from a Shel Silverstein poem about polishing the old, dull stars that you already have when you don't have enough money to buy shiny new ones.  My blog is all about our journey to make our home a fun and beautiful place by repurposing things that we already have on hand and spending as little money as possible.  You will find lots of crafts, recipes, home improvement, decor, cleaning, and organization projects - all with detailed tutorials so that you will know exactly how to do it yourself.  :)

Today I am sharing one of my favorite projects from my blog - a Mini Polaroid Necklace!




This is kind of my fun, retro version of the classic photo locket.  It is really easy to make and would be a great gift for a mom or grandma!   It doesn't just have to be for family photos though.  You can use your favorite photo of anything.  I made one using a picture of my friend's old yellow volkswagon that was pretty fun.  :)


Supplies:
Mini Photo printed on Cardstock
Small Glass Tile
Necklace Bail
Mod  Podge or Diamond Glaze
Exacto Knife
Cutting Mat
Foam Brush


Pick your photo and crop it to an 8x10 landscape.  I made this one using a pic of me and my guys.  :) You will want a tiny print for your necklace.  I just right-clicked and copied the photo from my computer and pasted it in to a Word document.  Then shrunk it to about 0.7" wide.  You could also crop your photo to a square but I thought that the polaroid look was more fun.  Just be sure to make it small enough to leave a white border on the sides or the rounded edges of the glass will distort the sides of the photo.


Place your glass tile (I found mine here) over your photo and center it how you would like it to appear when it is finished.  Hold it in place with one hand and with your other hand use the knife to cut just along the edge of the tile.  You can also trace around the tile with a pencil and cut it out with scissors but it is a lot more difficult to get close so you will have a more to trim away.


Trim the photo down until it fits perfectly.


Using the paint brush apply a later of Mod Podge on the photo and place the tile on top.  You will want hold the picture when you push the tile down or your photo will stick to the surface it is on.  Carefully push out as many bubbles as you can.  It is okay if it appears cloudy - it will dry clear.


Flip it over and apply another layer of Mod Podge to the back of the photo to seal it.  Glue the bail in place (also purchased here).  Allow everything to dry then add your pendant to a chain.


If you don't have the time to make your own, I also sell these personalized pendants over in my Shop!

Some of my other projects that you might enjoy:
Techniques For Printing On Fabric
Includes a few different methods for printing on fabric as well as the best ways to care for your printed fabric to keep it from fading.

Slow-Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Perfect comfort food for those cold winter nights.

Comic Book Pop Art
Easy and cheap art that doesn't require any drawing skills and can be used with any kind of picture!

Thank you so much for having me over, Lisa!  I have really enjoyed getting to know you the last few months and I am honored to guest post on your blog.  :)

2 comments:

  1. wonderful post Megan ! Cute fam photo too !

    I myself am very nu-photoggenic I have a hard time doing a natural smile for some reason and I hav a lot more problems such as wrinkles I hate now. I have to try this (of my sons or my grand daughter (Jilly-bean) as I said on your blog I checked out and now I follow your posts too. I love your style and I am interested in a lot of the things you are too.

    TTL

    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Wow, how'd you get all those followers so quick? I was going to award you with the Liebster award, but it's for blogs with 200 or less followers! You're doing very well! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete

I adore getting your comments!! I read each comment and try to reply to everyone too-unless it's from a "no-reply" address of course!! I can't wait to hear from you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Lisa's Craft Blog

Loading